The Lion King, Disney’s timeless tale of love, betrayal, and the journey to one’s rightful place, remains a beloved masterpiece to this day. One super interesting fun fact about the Lion King is that the original idea for the film was inspired by William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” but set in the animal kingdom. Yes, that means Simba is essentially the lion version of Hamlet! Now, if you’re a fan of Lion King trivia, this blog post is for you.
And for those who think they know all there is to know about this animated classic, we invite you to take our 15-question Lion King Trivia Video Quiz to test your knowledge. If you like Disney trivia, check out more kids movie questions.
Ready to dive into the Pride Lands of Africa? Hakuna Matata! Let’s go.
Lion King Trivia: Main Characters
- Who voices the main character, Simba, in the animated film?
- Who provides the speaking voice of young Simba?
- Which American actor voiced the intimidating Scar?
- Who was the famous actor behind the voice of Mufasa, Simba’s father?
- Can you name Simba’s best friend and frequent companion?
- Who lends her voice to Nala, Simba’s love interest?
- What is the name of Nala’s mother in the movie?
- Who is Simba’s mother and the queen of Pride Rock?
- Which actor is behind the voice of the hilarious bird, Zazu?
- Who voiced the comedic duo, Timon and Pumbaa?
Famous Songs and Awards
- Which song from the movie won an Academy Award for Best Original Song?
- Who composed the music for “Circle of Life”?
- Which famous singer performed “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”?
- The Lion King won a Golden Globe for which category?
- Who penned the lyrics for the majority of the original songs, collaborating with Elton John?
Scenes and Quotes
- Which area is described by Mufasa as a “shadowy place” that Simba should never go to?
- “Remember who you are” is a line from which character’s ghost?
- Which song features the famous phrase “Hakuna Matata”?
- Which character states “Life’s not fair, is it?” in the movie?
- What is the last word uttered at the end of the movie?
Lion King Trivia: Sequels and Spin-offs
- What is the title of the sequel which focuses on Simba’s pride?
- In “Lion King II,” who is Simba’s uncle?
- Which song was added to the Broadway musical adaptation, not originally in the animated film?
- Who is the young lion introduced in “Lion King II”?
- Who voiced Kovu in “Lion King II”?
Behind the Scenes
- Which famous actor was originally considered for the voice of Scar before Jeremy Irons was chosen?
- Who was the director duo behind the original Lion King animated film?
- What life lessons were inspired by the personal experiences of Jeffrey Katzenberg?
- Hans Zimmer, who composed the film’s score, won an Academy Award for which category?
- Who was responsible for the new song “Morning Report” in the special edition of the movie?
Lion King Trivia: Miscellaneous
- Which character’s eyes change color multiple times throughout the film?
- In the opening scene of The Lion King, which animal bows first as the lion roars?
- Who performed the singing voice for young Simba’s “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”?
- The character Scar was partly inspired by which historical dictator?
- Which character says, “Look beyond what you see”?
Answers to the Lion King Trivia
- Matthew Broderick voiced adult Simba, while Jonathan Taylor Thomas voiced the young cub.
- The speaking voice of young Simba was provided by Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
- Jeremy Irons voiced Scar.
- James Earl Jones was the voice behind King Mufasa.
- Nala, voiced by Moira Kelly as an adult and Niketa Calame as a cub, was Simba’s best friend.
- Adult Nala’s voice was provided by Moira Kelly.
- Nala’s mother is named Sarafina.
- Simba’s mother, the queen of Pride Rock, is named Sarabi.
- Rowan Atkinson voiced Zazu.
- Nathan Lane voiced Timon, and Ernie Sabella voiced Pumbaa.
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” won the Academy Award for Best Original Song.
- Elton John composed the music for “Circle of Life.”
- Elton John performed “Can You Feel the Love Tonight.”
- The Lion King won a Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy.
- Tim Rice penned the lyrics for the majority of the original songs, collaborating with Elton John.
- The Elephant Graveyard is the “shadowy place” that Simba is warned against.
- Mufasa’s ghost delivers the line, “Remember who you are.”
- Timon and Pumbaa sing “Hakuna Matata.”
- Scar states, “Life’s not fair, is it?”
- The last word of the movie is “Roar!”
- The title of the sequel focusing on Simba’s pride is “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride.”
- In “Lion King II,” Scar is Simba’s uncle.
- “Morning Report” is the song added to the Broadway musical adaptation.
- Kiara is the young lion introduced in “Lion King II.”
- Jason Marsden voiced Kovu in “Lion King II.”
- Malcolm McDowell was originally considered for the voice of Scar.
- Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff directed the original Lion King animated film.
- The life lessons in the movie reflect Jeffrey Katzenberg’s personal experiences and challenges during the movie’s production.
- Hans Zimmer won an Academy Award for Best Original Score for The Lion King.
- Elton John and Tim Rice were responsible for the new song “Morning Report” in the special edition.
- Nala’s eyes change color from green to blue and back throughout the film.
- The zebras bow first in the opening scene as the lion roars.
- Jason Weaver performed the singing voice for young Simba’s “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King.”
- The character Scar was partly inspired by Adolf Hitler.
- Rafiki says, “Look beyond what you see.”
Good luck on your ultimate Lion King quiz journey! Whether you’re revisiting your favorite character or diving deep into the behind-the-scenes magic of this animated masterpiece, there’s always something new to discover in the Pride Lands. Remember, in the Circle of Life, every day is a chance to learn something new.